Strange Attractor Press is an independent publishing house, founded in 2003, based in London, UK and run by Mark Pilkington and Jamie Sutcliffe.
We edit, publish and produce all of our titles in-house, aided by freelance editors, designers, illustrators and proof readers, commissioned on a project-by-project basis.
For general contact and enquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Snail Mail: BM SAP, WC1N 3XX, London, UK
Mailing list: Sign up here to keep up to date with news and special editions
Booksellers in the UK: via Publishers Group UK
– In the EU, USA & Rest of World: via The MIT Press
For enquiries about online orders and deliveries please email email@example.com
Work experience: Please read this before contacting us.
ORDERING OUR BOOKS
Strange Attractor Press titles are available directly from our Shoppe, and from all interesting bookshops worldwide.
Most of our titles emerge out of discussions with authors and we only rarely take on new projects on spec. Please read these submission guidelines before sending us a proposal.
Working with SAP
We are currently a two-person team and are not likely to expand in the near future, but if you would like to talk to us about working on a freelance basis, do please get in touch.
We receive a large number of requests for work experience placements, and we welcome students and other visitors who want to see how we work. However, please bear the following in mind before writing to us:
– unfortunately we we are not in a position to be able to pay work experience visitors or interns.
– please familiarise yourself with our titles and our approach before contacting us. If our books don’t sound interesting to you, then we would suggest that you won’t benefit from work experience with us. We would like you to have read at least one of our titles before getting in touch.
– we welcome assistance from graduate or post-graduate students, but would recommend that you familiarise yourself with commercial design and layout software such as Abode Indesign and Photoshop if you want to work alongside us.
– we are a small independent press and can’t offer you any assistance in finding work in the commercial publishing arena. However, because we are small and independent, we manage all aspects of book publishing ourselves (though we work alongside MIT Press and State51 for distribution and publicity) so we can provide a good opportunity to learn the processes and practices involved.
A brief history of Strange Attractor Press
In 2001 Mark Pilkington and John Lundberg instigated a series of events at London’s The Horse Hospital that ran for two years under the title ‘Strange Attractor’ (see images of our early events below). Since then Mark has continued to organise sporadic Strange Attractor events and to work on larger collaborative projects.
In 2003, along with designer Ali Hutchinson, Mark edited and published Strange Attractor Journal One, an anthology (now out-of-print) of writing on neglected and esoteric cultural, historical and anthropological themes in keeping with the original events, that marked the first appearance of Strange Attractor Press.
In 2010 Strange Attractor Press became a limited company and in 2014 Jamie Sutcliffe joined us as an editor and publisher.
In 2017 SAP titles were picked up for global distribution by the MIT Press.
Nearly two decades since its inception, with numerous exhibitions and books in its past, and in its future, Strange Attractor Press continues its mission to celebrate unpopular culture. Join us.